Resources Pools & Shares:
- Resource Pools are hierarchical.
- Resource Pools are both providers and consumers of resources. Child consumes resources from Parent pools.
- Reservation: Tells ESX to power on a virtual machine only if there are enough unreserved resources. As a best practice, leave at least 10% resources unreserved.
- Shares are used to set Guaranteed Reservation for VMs.
- Shares are assigned values as High (4), Normal (2) and Low (1). An example of how to use these values is shown below: